- Kigali, RwandaMay 13, 2016- With over 200runners from
across Rwanda, Saturday 7thMay saw the debut of the first ever marathon
‘CIMERUN’ in Bugarama organized under road safety awareness campaign by CIMERWA
Ltd, Rwanda’s only integrated cement producer in partnership with local leaders
- Athletes and families enjoyed a welcome party at
CIMERWA plant. Attendees from Rusizi
district and even from different parts of the country took part in 10 Km and
5km runs that kicked off from8:30 am- 11: 00 am in Bugarma, Muganza sector,
- Participants in both categories enjoyed running in the
new 11 km tarmac road recently built by CIMERWA, a road which connects the main
road to Bugarama trade center and the factory.
- 10 Km race was won by Myasiro Jean Marie Vianney who
took the lead, followed by the well-known runner in Rwanda, Nyirarukundo Salomé
and after her came Niyonzaba Felix; while the 5 km run title was taken by
Shyaka Olivier, Hitimana Abdoul as second, and Iranzi Celine as the third one.
- Beyond the medal that every participant has been
rewarded with, the first man and woman in 10 km race; Myasiro and Nyirarukundo
were also given Rwf250, 000 cash prize, while Shyaka and Iranzi pocketed
Rwf100, 000 each as the best in the 5km race.
- During the event, Emile Habumukiza, Inspector of
Police in Muganza sector, briefed the members oflocal community on road safety
- “First of all, I commend CIMERWA for organizing this
important event which aims to tackle road accidents. I also take this opportunity
to warn all the people mainly bicyclists who usually don’t follow road safety
rules. I advise every one present to not walk on road without obeying traffic
- Busisiwe Legodi, The Chief Executive Officer of
CIMERWA, said that Bugarama is like home, that’s why this important event was
organized in Bugarama, not elsewhere.
- “CIMERUN exceeded our expectations; we thank all
athletes and residents who took part in this competition. At CIMERWA, we strive
to operate in a manner that gives back to the community that we call home.”
- In addition, Busisiwe talked of CIMERWA being the
strength behind the bag because the factory has built strong partnerships with
leaders and members of the local communityby building the road, a nursery and
primary school, medical clinic, and providing them with clean, piped water. The
firm has also helped enterprising people set up a carpentry workshop, knitting
and tailoring outfits.
- The crowd was entertained by local music band, Charly
na Nina and the day ended with a tour of the factory.
- CIMERWA is looking forward to make CIMERUN an annual
event as declared by Busisiwe in her address to the press soon after the